My professional life started as a dietitian in a hospital before going on to specialise in sports nutrition in a career that has seen me work with some of the country’s best athletes with positions at the Australian Institute of Sport, Geelong and Carlton AFL clubs, Melbourne Rebels and Canberra Brumbies Rugby, Cricket NSW, and the AFL Umpires.
Yet despite being what everyone else would define as hugely successful, I was unhappy and unfulfilled. I knew that I wanted more for myself, but at the same time I thought I ‘should’ just be grateful for what I had (don’t get me wrong, I was grateful, I just knew something was missing).
I had no idea what was missing, but I knew that conversations about food and nutrition were just scratching the surface and I wanted to work with people on a deeper level. My heart knew that was time to start writing my own script – to stop following the path that I thought I was “supposed” to or that I “should”.
I decided to formalise my coaching qualifications and hire a coach. What I didn’t realise when I started this, was the immensely powerful adventure of self-discovery that I was about to dive head first into. Now that I am grounded in my authentic self I’ve never been more excited and through it have found my passion and purpose in life - coaching.
I know that my story is not unique and others have similar experiences. I hope that my legacy can be to inspire women to live thoughtful, connected and meaningful lives. There should be no shame, guilt, doubt or fear in wanting more for yourself - create a life that excites you.
On a personal note, I live on the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, Australia and love living life in the fresh air, the sunshine and the ocean. I have a wonderful husband who reminds me every day how abundant and full of joy life can be and a magnificent kelpie, Lily, whose energy levels never cease to astound me! People always say we're lucky - but there’s no luck in it. We've made choices and committed to them.
When I'm not coaching you'll find me running in the trails on an endless pursuit to run Lily out of energy, playing in the foam on a surfboard, or channelling my Grandma in the kitchen baking something delicious.
KIND WORDS FROM SOME MY CLIENTS:
I just wanted to send this note to let you know how helpful I have found my sessions with you. Your gentle guidance and low-key approach has been refreshing and greatly appreciated. Your sensitive and sensible approach has helped me enormously. I can only hope that other people have the opportunity to work with you as well. Loretta W, Entrepreneur
I feel the best I have in so long. I am so proud of the adventure so far, and the payment made tonight doesn't even come close to the amazing feelings I now have about myself, my body, and those around me. Thank you .. thank you .. and HUGE thank you for everything so far. Love your work, you are a true inspiration and support! Cate O, Business Professional
So lovely lovely Ali. Thank you so much for all that you have done. Seeing you has helped me on a number of different levels and I am so grateful. You really made a huge difference. Lisa V, Business Professional
MY COACHING PHILOSOPHY
These key points best summarise my coaching philosophy:
- Coaching is a thought provoking process that inspires people to maximise their potential
- Coaching has no power dynamic - we work as a partnership
- All of my clients are creative, resourceful and capable - they have immense wisdom within, I help to draw this out
- My clients know what's best for them - they are the experts in their life
- Nobody needs to be ‘fixed’ – coaching is not a remedial activity, we look forward
- Coaching is the time and space for my clients to focus on themselves and their ambitions. As a coach, my role is to:
- Assist my clients to look forward, drawing on their wisdom, insights, strengths, values and experiences in the process
- Discover, clarify and align with what my clients want to achieve through questions and observations
- Encourage my clients to expand their awareness through a process of self-discovery - recapturing a natural state of curiosity
- Support my clients to be curious; to feel more and think less; and to trust their inner wisdom and strengths to guide their path
- Elicit client-generated solutions and strategies while being a sounding board to help facilitate thinking
- Hold my client accountable where needed, while encouraging a stronger level of self-responsibility
- Member of the International Coach Federation
- Advanced Sports Dietitian, Sports Dietitians Australia
- Accredited Practicing Dietitian, Dietitians Association Australia
- IOC Diploma in Sports Nutrition (Distinction)
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Hons)